Concessions & rebates
Smart Energy will also request information from individuals to confirm eligibility for different concessions that may be applicable.
South Australian solar hot water rebate
Concession card holders who install a new solar water heater or a new electric heat pump water heater may be eligible for a $500 solar hot water rebate from the South Australian Government. To be eligible for the solar hot water rebate, you must hold at least one of these Australian Government concession cards:
- Centrelink Health Care Card
- Centrelink or Department of Veterans’ Affairs Pensioner Concession Card
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card – Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI)
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card – War Widow (WW)
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs – Extreme Disablement Adjustment (EDA)
Energy bill concession
Eligible South Australian residents may be able to receive a concession on their household energy bills, to assist with electricity and gas payments (including LPG bottled gas). You may be eligible if you:
- hold a pensioner concession card or DVA Gold Card (TPI, EDA or War Widow), OR
- DVA Gold Card issued to a person with 80 or more overall impairment points under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004.
- hold a Centrelink Health Care Card (including a low income health care card), OR
- hold a Commonwealth Seniors Health Care Card, OR
- receive an eligible Centrelink allowance
In addition, the address for which you are claiming the concession must be your principal place of residence and your name must appear first on the electricity bill. For more information please contact the ConcessionsSA Hotline on 1800 307 758 or download an application form here.
Medical Heating and Cooling Concession (MHCC)
On 1 January 2012, the South Australian Government Department of Human Services introduced the Medical Heating and Cooling Concession. This energy concession assists South Australians on a fixed or low income who have a clinically verified medical condition which requires the frequent use of heating or cooling in the home to prevent the severe exacerbation of their condition. The Medical heating and cooling concession is available to eligible applicants in addition to the current energy concession.
For more information please contact the ConcessionsSA Hotline on 1800 307 758 or download an application form here.
Emergency Electricity Payment Scheme (EEPS)
If you are having difficulty paying your account due to hardship, and you are eligible for a concession, you may qualify for a relief payment through the South Australian Government Department of Human Services Emergency Electricity Payment Scheme (EEPS). To apply for EEPS assistance, you will need to visit a financial counsellor who will make an assessment before an application can be lodged. To find a financial counsellor near you, see the ASIC MoneySmart Website